The J.D. Power 2019 Initial Quality Study results are in, and one thing is very clear: Hyundai is a major force in the automotive industry. The three highest-ranking brands were Genesis, Kia and Hyundai, all of which fall under the Hyundai Motor Group umbrella. While more brands worsened than improved in their initial quality results, Hyundai Motor Group brands were among the few who saw major improvements to their quality rating, pulling ahead considerably as a leader in the industry. Now that’s something to beep your own horn about!
“Remarkably, 16 of 18 models from Hyundai Motor Group rank in the top three in their respective segments.”
- J.D. Power 2019 Initial Quality Study
The J.D. Power Rankings are scored based on the unbiased opinions of hundreds of thousands of verified vehicle owners in five main areas: quality, dependability, performance, depreciation, and sales experience at the dealership. After the data is collected from consumers, scores are created for each vehicle based on the feedback - the fewer the problems, the better the score. While Hyundai vehicles frequently dominate these rankings, the Santa Fe pulled ahead as a top vehicle in 2019. The Santa Fe won the J.D. Power Award for Highest Quality Midsize SUV, and also nabbed 9th place overall for midsize SUVs. A complete redesign for 2019 has made this model better than ever, as it straddles the line perfectly between rugged SUV and a family-friendly crossover. The redesigned model sports an updated 2.2L turbo diesel engine with 190 hp, improved interior layout for added comfort, and a larger wheelbase for more stability and style. The Santa Fe also won the 2019 J.D. Power Dependability Award, edging out it’s closest competitors by a substantial number of points. With two major awards under its belt this year, the Hyundai Santa Fe is easily one of the most dependable, highest quality midsize SUVs available on the market.
“Hyundai’s 2019 lineup promises to continue their reputation for performance and quality.”
- J.D. Power Awards
The Santa Fe wasn’t the only Hyundai vehicle to dominate the J.D. Power Rankings in 2019; let’s take a look at a few of the other vehicles in the Hyundai lineup to have exceptional overall rankings in their respective categories:
• As the newest addition to the Hyundai lineup, the Kona took the J.D. Power Awards by storm. Ranking 8th overall in its category as a crossover-SUV, the Kona received incredibly high ratings across the board for quality, reliability, driving experience, and dealership experience. With the spaciousness of an SUV, the agility and handling of a passenger car, fantastic gas mileage, and a great price tag, there is little doubt that the Kona will be a competitive addition to the market.
• The Hyundai Accent was another top 10 overall finisher in its category, ranking 6th overall for sedans. As one of the most competitively priced cars on the market and a consistently high rating for performance, the Accent proves that you can have affordability without compromising quality.
• Another Hyundai SUV to dominate the J.D. Power Awards was the Tucson, which ranked 6th overall in its category. 2019 saw subtle changes to the Tucson that packed a big punch, like improved safety features, infotainment upgrades, and changes to the exterior styling that were well received by consumers. With a competitive price tag and proven high quality performance, the Tucson is arguably one of the most impressive SUVs in the industry.
• The Hyundai Veloster came in red hot this year as the only vehicle besides MINI Cooper to place in the top-5 overall rankings for hatchbacks! This fully loaded and uniquely designed car provides a fun driving experience, incredible gas mileage, and a surprisingly spacious interior.
Not only does Hyundai consistently make some of the most dependable vehicles on the road, but their competitive prices, proven high quality products, and commitment to innovation makes Hyundai vehicles a top choice for car buyers - and their dominance in the J.D. Power Awards again this year helps drive that fact home. Come check out our full lineup of cars and SUVs at Integrity Hyundai and experience what all the fuss is about!